Red Velvet Cupcakes
Ready in 45 minutes
Makes 20 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 bottle (8 fl oz) Ensure® Original Vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp natural or pure cocoa powder*
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup beet juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Use pure or natural cocoa powder; avoid dutch processed cocoa powder for this recipe as it may affect the final color.
- For the frosting:
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with 20 paper baking cups
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, Ensure®, beet juice, vanilla, and lemon juice. The batter will be very lumpy and may start to separate at this point – don’t worry, it gets smooth again once flour mixture is incorporated!
- Stir flour mixture into batter until just blended.
- Spoon batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare frosting by beating together butter, ricotta cheese, and vanilla.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, approximately ½ cup at a time, until desired consistency is obtained.
- Let cupcakes cool in the pan set over a wire rack before frosting.
Serving Size: 1 cupcake with icing
1g DIETARY FIBER
Amount Per Serving
Fat, g: 9
Sodium, mg: 190
Carbohydrate, g: 35
Dietary fiber, g: 1
Protein, g: 4